I mentioned in my last post that I recently turned 24. To celebrate, I decided to make a list of things I want to accomplish before my 25th birthday. (Eep!) I know I may not accomplish every single thing below, but I am excited to look back a year from now and cross off the things I did complete and add other ones in their place! So with no further ado:
1. Learn to work with royal icing, gum paste, and fondant. I have already made some progress on this one (please excuse the neon pink):
2. Learn to use a sewing machine. I have wanted to learn to sew for years. I now have a ton of bookmaking and clothing ideas that I can’t stand to keep in my head any longer. It’s finally time to cross this off and move forward.
3. Start my Etsy business. I am so excited for this. All I want to do besides baking is make books for people.
4. Become a better listener. As embarrassing as it is to admit, I can be a rather poor listener. Now that I have acknowledged this, I am ready to fix it and become a better friend, daughter, and partner.
5. Write letters more often. Snail mail is the best. I have so many great friends all over the country, I should be spending more time communicating with them.
6. Finish and send out 25 Blips. This one won’t make sense to most of you, but this is a collaborative art project I have been working on for a little over a year now. I am ready to wrap things up and reveal it to the world!
8. Get my driver’s license. I refuse to say more about this.
9. Don’t buy clothes for 1 year. Yep. I said it. BAM. I have a lot of clothes. I want to focus on wanting what I have and not accumulating more things. Furthermore, I decided when it is time to buy clothes again, I am ready to invest in quality pieces and not trendy ones. Rules: accessories don’t count; I can replace items if they become unwearable (this might only happen with jeans). I don’t know if this can last a year, but we’ll see!
10. Upcycle/get rid of unworn clothes. This is sort of a continuation of the last goal, but it is a task unto itself. I already purchase mostly thrift and secondhand, but my goal is to upcycle or get rid of any items I don’t absolutely love and donate the rest. I have a tendency to buy “almost perfect” items a lot: something that needs to be hemmed, a button is missing, “this dress would be perfect if I added a collar” type things. I want to complete all of these projects before I add anymore or buy anymore clothes.
11. Finish overhauling the Schwinn I got from Craigslist. This one is coming along a lot faster than I thought, but I am including it because it was part of the original list I made, I am just not really posting this list in a timely manner. Anyway, looks pretty fun, until closer inspection reveals rust, gunk, and flat tires. . . But she is cleaning up nicely and I can’t wait to share before & after pictures!
12. Make more books more often. I hate making nonspecific goals, so I am going to try to make 2 books per month. I haven’t been creating much recently because of the excuses I wrote about last post, but I am ready to change things for the better.
13. Move to Nashville. Hey. . It could happen! There are more bakeries there and more opportunities for me to get my books into smaller handmade shops. Right now it kind of seems like The Promise Land.
14. Work in a bakery. (self-explanatory)
15. Watch more classic/cult/good movies. I know this is a very unclear statement. Nick and I have a tendency to re-watch Wayne’s World or Anchorman instead of branching out and trying new movies. For some reason these two FINE FILMS are not on this list, which is where we have mostly been pulling from for ideas. I’ve already been enjoying the wide range of movies we’ve seen lately. Maybe sometime when I am not so lazy and full of tacos I will post about them!
16. Drink more water. I used to never buy soda. Now there is a 2 liter of Peach Nehi in the fridge that I bought today. I want to go back to more water and less sugary bubbly goodness. I am also trying to eat more fresh fruits and vegetables and less pizza. But “eat healthier” is so generic, I’m just trying to live more consciously again. Colorful food helps!
17. Learn a makeup routine that actually works for me. I am pretty simple beauty wise, but I would like to master a classic cat-eye and find a shade of lipstick (or two!) that I can pull off.
18. Learn how to curl my hair. My hair is the longest it’s been in like 10 years. Now that I have some locks, I’d like to learn to curl them real nice. And maybe even figure out a faux finger wave or something fun and retro!
19. Keep a journal again.
20. Re-read the Harry Potter series. Now that all the movies are out and we finished our second annual Harry Potter movie marathon, I really want to read all the books again. (Originally this one was to “read more” but I really think this is an upgrade.)
21. Grow out my bangs. I am not sure why I have elected this torture, but I am not backing down now. It’s only been like 3 months since I have cut them and I am not about to throw all that progress away.
22. Learn to use Adobe InDesign & Photoshop. I am slowly getting the hang of Illustrator and learning something new each time I use it, but I still have so much to learn. I need to continue to expand my knowledge and I know I will use all of these programs a ton once I am more familiar with them.
23. Collaborate with another artist on a project. Any takers? I know group work in school is the worst, but now that I am out, I am ready for some teamwork.
24. Live more congruently. This is a very general statement, but I have been reading up a lot on self-improvement, living your dreams, and defining what you want out of life. It’s hard for me to formulate into words what all this goal incorporates so I will save more detail for another post sometime, but suffice it to say I am pretty inspired lately and I am ready for some big changes in my life. I really can’t wait.
So there you have it. If I am not blogging, I am either crossing things off this list, working hard for the money, or sleeping way too much. I can’t wait to share it all with you. I don’t think it’s necessary to apologize for gaps in blogging (quality over quantity!), so if you ever feel like it’s been awhile and you wonder what I am up to, then feel free to follow me on Twitter for silly updates or check out my inspiration blog to see what I’m liking lately. Let me know if you’ve posted about your goals lately, I love to meet my readers!