I started out looking for vintage cake stands on Craigslist and next thing I know. . . this desk is staring back at me! I can’t believe how unique and pristine it is. The ad says it’s a 1950′s optometrist desk, hence the neat cutout and swivel chair. I would swoop it up in a heartbeat if I had the room (and money) for it!
Thanks to my Two Dozen Goals list, I have started keeping a journal / sketch book again! I’m going to share some excerpts from it on the blog every now and then! It can be pretty hard to make necessary changes when you’re stuck in a rut. Sometimes it can be even harder to admit you’re stuck in a rut in the first place— uninspired, living on autopilot, questioning all your own actions. So after making some life-altering decisions, I am looking forward to a better tomorrow!
This post is my way of letting you know I failed at not buying any clothing for a year. But HOW FABULOUS is this jacket?! I was doing so well at avoiding thrift stores until I promised to help a friend with a fashion project . . . and the rest is history. Even if I counted this as an accessory to make myself feel better, it wouldn’t matter because I found an incredible vintage dress that day, too!
I read this post by Georgina Swan about cost per wear and it couldn’t have come at a better time. By no means do I spend tons of money on clothes only to wear them once, but I am guilty of buying pieces I love in the dressing room only to get home and have complete “what was I thinking moments?” where I realize I have nothing to wear said piece with. So here’s to focusing on better quality items with timeless fits that I can stretch further than my current wardrobe! Do you have any shopping habits you’re trying to change?
I have some news! This is the first edition of what I am calling The Cat’s Meow: A Collection of Things to Purr Over. I really enjoyed the last two times I shared lists of little treasures that are making me happy, so I decided to make a regular feature out these posts from now on. So here is a little glimpse of what is inspiring me in February:
1. These diy Valentine’s Day cake stands make such a delightful tablescape! I would love to create a little dessert bar someday.
2. I am dying to make this simple + sweet chain collar necklace
3. I highly recommend reading The Styling Dutchman’s post: Feminism as Extremism; here is one part I loved:
“I’m here to raise awareness, to make you think about your position in life. Next time feminism comes up in a conversation, I urge you to keep things simple. Tell them that yes, you are a feminist, and ask your detractors why they are against equal opportunity for every individual, regardless of the contents of their underpants. More broadly: please, don’t be afraid to fight for your beliefs, to educate yourself, to think. Our ancestors fought hard to give us those opportunities. And don’t forget: we are ancestors to be, and our decisions have consequences.”
4. Speaking of feminism, I am dying to read the book Wheels of Change: How Women Rode the Bicycle to Freedom (with a Few Flat Tires Along the Way):
5. Speaking of bikes, I can’t even explain how happy this photo from Bike Fancy makes me!
I have a really hard time staying chic in the cold and when that’s coupled with biking then I just end up feeling like a hot mess (which I don’t really mind, but apparently being a fashion consultant comes with certain expectations!). Luckily this winter has been extremely mild, but since I am working on improving my style in general, learning to be as cute is this girl (is that even possible?) would be pretty handy.
6. Speaking of fashion, I am obsessed with wedges lately! I’m not personally ready for some of the more extreme ones out there, but I can really appreciate a timeless wedge done right. For me: clean lines, classic details, and versatility come first, like so:
7. And lastly . . . my blog’s facelift! I wasn’t happy with the previous changes, so I tried again. I have been a bit preoccupied with my job recently because I got a promotion (yay!) so I haven’t been able to document as many things as I want. Also, I maybe misplaced my camera for a while there…
So rather than working on content, I have been working behind the scenes on the appearance of my blog— new header, color scheme, background, and sidebar! If you are not familiar with the old layout, you can see it here. I really think these changes were much needed. Now I can’t wait to keep posting and sharing little peaks into my life.
What’s inspiring you lately?